Welcome to #LastWeekXI – A week of tweets, vines, videos and cricket banter… straight to you.
1. The week began when Ian Bell smashed 187 off just 145 balls. It’s like cricket as an art form.
— England Cricket (@ECB_cricket) January 14, 2015
2. Then the ODI series’ began.
Heading to Sydney for the first ODI pic.twitter.com/S2fhn9esz1
— Ravi Bopara (@ravibopara) January 15, 2015
— England Cricket (@ECB_cricket) January 17, 2015
Needless to say, England lost.
3. …As a conciliation however, Pat Cummins did this.
4. In other news, World Cup squads are out.
5. But business as usual.. Hashim Amla pipped Virat Kohli to become the quickest to reach 5000 ODI runs, whilst compiling 66 for South Africa against the West Indies.
Fewest innings to 5000 ODI runs 101 H Amla 114 V Richards 114 V Kohli 118 B Lara 121 G Greenidge 124 AB de V 126 S Ganguly #SAvWI
— Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) January 16, 2015
Highest percentage of 50+ scores in ODIs (minimum 15 scores of 50+): Amla 42.6% Trott 40% Kohli 39.1% de Villiers 35.9%. — Phil Oliver (@Phil__Oliver) January 16, 2015
6. In that same tour’, Chris Gayle proved he can still bat, which is nice considering there is a World Cup around the corner.
He hit the fasted fifty ever, in just 17 balls. He then smashed 90 off 41 balls in the second T20.
7. Kieron Pollard had a bit of a twitter rant.
Bad influences they call us no other team this happens I can assure u…!! But we talk we bad , talk about good governance
— Kieron Pollard (@KieronPollard55) January 16, 2015
8. Moving on to another hard hitting batsman… Kevin Pietersen had an interesting week. He was grilled by former Australia captain, and great batsman, Ricky Ponting.
9. Then he got a tattoo, and twitter reacted..
10. …Then he decided it was best to just carry on scoring runs, hitting 67 for the stars, to eliminate the Thunder..
KP is now the highest scorer in this season’s Big Bash. Don’t think I’ve seen a better innings from him than this since 2012. — George Dobell (@GeorgeDobell1) January 17, 2015
A BIG 11.
In that same game that Pietersen scored 67, there was a bit of controversy.
Josh Lalor took a catch, but went over the rope. He threw it up, re-caught it, and it was out… we thought.
It turns out that Cam White and Glenn Maxwell were not too pleased.
That’s not out!! U can’t jump from over the rope to take the catch! The rule has changed, otherwise u can catch one 20m back from the rope! — Glenn Maxwell (@Gmaxi_32) January 17, 2015
Think about it this way, u run over the rope and continually jump up in the air catching and throwing it up until u get back in play. Out? — Glenn Maxwell (@Gmaxi_32) January 17, 2015
Lalor’s catch was a SIX per Law 32.4: he “ground[ed] some part of his person beyond the boundary while …” — SB Tang (@sb_tang) January 17, 2015
— Lachlan Payne (@lachlanpayne) January 17, 2015